Mediterranean umami guacamole
This version of guacamole takes a detour from its Mexican roots and instead relies on a Mediterranean flavor profile. The avocado provides the creamy base which is then spiked with a series of flavorful and slightly assertive ingredients. This guacamole is also packed with umami (pepperoni, dried tomatoes, Parmesan, and MSG) which provides a savory flavor that lasts long on the palate.
- 2 oz. thinly sliced pepperoni
- 2 ripened Haas avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 1 ½ Tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 3 ½ Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Italian parsley leaves, minced
- 3 Tablespoons high quality green olives, finely chopped
- 1 oz. finely grated Parmesan
- ¼ teaspoon MSG
- 1 small Serrano chile, minced
- Several pinches salt (to taste)
Cut the pepperoni slices into ¼-inch strips.
Spread the strips out on a non-stick baking sheet or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Place in a pre-heated 300° F oven and bake until the pepperoni becomes crispy (about 10 minutes.)
Remove from oven and immediately remove the pepperoni from the baking sheet. Let cool and reserve.
Place avocado in a bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher keeping it slightly chunky.
Gently mix in the red onion, lemon juice, dried tomatoes, parsley, olives, Parmesan, MSG, Serrano chile, and salt.
Place in a serving bowl. Garnish the top of the guacamole with crispy pepperoni. Serve with pita chips or grilled pita bread.