Garides Saganaki (Andrew Zimmern)
- 4 serving
Broiled shrimp with tomatoes & feta.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 2 pounds shrimp, u-15 size
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh fennel, diced, fronds reserved
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- 1 tsp ground anise seed
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chile flakes, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp Ajinomoto MSG
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta, a creamy variety such as Dodonis or Valbreso
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 whole lemons, halved and grilled cut side down until charred
- Cooked new potatoes seasoned with
- Lemon, olive oil and chives, for serving
Peel and devein the shrimp, reserve.
Place the olive oil in a large ovenproof sauté pan over high heat, a large 14-inch sauté pan works best.
When hot, add the shallot, fennel, garlic, ground fennel,anise seeds, oregano,parsley, chile flakes and MSG. Stir and sauté until glassy.
Add the wine and cook for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes,and then cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the broiler on high.
Next, add the shrimp to the sauté pan and toss quickly for 45 seconds.
Place the pan under the broiler to cook through, about 3 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven, sprinkle the feta and lemon juice evenly over the top. Place back under the broiler for one minute.
Serve immediately, family-style in the pan, with the charred lemons and fennel fronds as garnish. Serve with sides of cooked new potatoes, seasoned with lemon, olive oil and chives.
Garlic Shrimp Over Sautéed Spinach
Dashi-shiitake-miso soy sauce broth Halibut
Butter-Poached Abalone with Mushroom Risotto and Oven-dried Tomato
Sea Bream and Cured Ham Carpaccio
Grilled Horse Mackerel with Cheese Bread Crumbs
Sardines stewed with tomato
Grilled Tuna and Vegetables
Prawn and chinese cabbage stir-fry