Som Tum (Green Papaya Salad)
This is a popular spicy & healthy Thai salad.
- 10 oz. green papaya
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4-6 bird’s eye chilies
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 oz. long beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2-4 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp (optional)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp palm sugar, grated if purchased as a whole piece (can substitute sugar)
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- To garnish: 1 cup shredded red cabbage, fresh bean sprouts, and ½ cup long beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
Peel papaya.Cut flesh into a fine julienne.Discard seeds. Reserve.
In a mortar and pestle,pound chilies and garlic together to form a chunky paste.
Add peanuts,dried shrimps,tomatoes and beans.Mix to incorporate.
Add fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice.
Add shredded Papaya,fold it in.
Put on a serving platter and garnish with red cabbage,fresh bean sprouts and long beans.